Re: Orphaning php-codesniffer, then take it over by the PHP PEAR team

On 05/31/2012 09:03 AM, Steve Langasek wrote:
> If you're unhappy that the package has been unmaintained for a long time and
> that the MIA process takes time to result in an orphaning... suck it up.  If
> it was actually a problem, someone would have noticed it earlier and done
> something about it.  An unmaintained package does not suddenly become an
> urgent matter for the project the moment another DD notices it, and there is
> *no* justification for bypassing our agreed-upon community processes for how
> unmaintained packages are handled.
>
> A hijack is, by definition, a declaration by the hijacker that they believe
> they are not answerable to the project's processes for how package
> maintenance is decided.  It is antisocial vigilanteism and it is not
> acceptable.

Why are people talking about urgency and hijack? None applies to this
package.

Please refer to the title of this thread, where I wrote:
Orphaning *THEN* take over

Is there anything wrong with that?

Please re-read my first post of this thread.

Did you see me writing "I'd like to hijack php-codesniffer in order to rush
and get it into wheezy in time before the freeze"? *NO* ! I didn't write
that.
That's not my intention, especially that this is a tool aimed at developers,
so it doesn't really mater if it's not in Wheezy (it'd be nicer, but it's ok
if it's not).

In fact, it's the total opposite way, I asked others if they found it ok to
ask for the package to be orphaned after only a week, because I thought that
4 years without a refresh of the package, multiple NMUs of other packages
from the same maintainer, was enough to shorten the "ping period". I also
wrote about my intention to get the original maintainer in the team if he
wishes so. Then considering Jonas opinion, I agreed to leave one week more,
even if I know that the orphaning process may take some time as well.

Is this hijack? Is this rushing?

Thomas