Re: Moving /tmp to tmpfs is fine

On 05/27/2012 01:59 AM, Wookey wrote:
> here's a case where a lot of space gets used in there: open a .ppt
> (powerpoint) file in libreoffice. The conversion involves writing a
> file in /tmp/<mktmpdir> for every page/image. To open an image-heavy
> 256Mb .ppt I have lying about here, generates 382MB of files in /tmp.

Oh, that's right! I forgot about this one. I had the issue with
openoffice once, and my 1GB /tmp partition wasn't enough. It
filled more than 2GB of crap, in fact, and if this was on a tmpfs,
then it wouldn't have worked at all (eg: I wouldn't have had enough
RAM at the time).

It took me a long time to understand what was going on. If it was
someone else, like my mother or my wife (yes, they do use Debian :)),
of course, they would never understand it.

Thanks for reminding me this one which we have to add to the big
list of heavy users of big-files in /tmp.

Thomas