Re: Packaging on GitHub ?

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 2:42 AM, olivier sallou
<olivier.sallou@gmail.com> wrote:

> Le 27 mai 2012 03:12, "Jon Bernard" <jbernard@debian.org> a écrit :
>

>> * Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> wrote:
>> > Hello everybody,
>> >
>> > for one of the packages maintained by the pkg-eucalyptus team
>> > (euca2ools), the
>> > upstream source moved to GitHub, and we would like to try to maintain
>> > the
>> > Debian package there as well.
>> >
>> > I see that there is already a Debian account on GitHub
>> > (https://github.com/debian), currently empty.  Does it belong to a
>> > Developer ?
>> > Would it be availble to maintain the euca2ools package in ?
>> >
>> > I never tried GitHub before.  I know it is not Free.  The point
>> > maintaining a
>> > Debian package on GitHub would be to easily make pull requests to
>> > Upstream.  Is
>> > it something that would be doable from external repositories, for
>> > instance
>> > making a pull request to GitHub from Alioth ?  (I mean, the Pull Request
>> > function of GitHub, not sending an email Upstream saying in plain
>> > English that
>> > they can pull from Alioth).
>>
>> I believe a Github pull-request must reference a commit within Github
>> itself.
>> You could still file an issue linking to an external repository, but I
>> suspect
>> they're encouraging you to use Github for packaging so they can leverage
>> all of
>> the utilities that Github provides. You could always use Alioth as the
>> primary
>> repository and keep an updated mirror on Github just for this sort of
>> thing.
>>
> Github tools work with local repo only. Keeping an updated mirror is not a
> good method for me, it is a painful task and you are never sure of the
> status....

I wrote a *very* hacky cron-daemon to keep fluxbox in sync on github
and on git.fluxbox.org -- basically, github is "read only", and my
server pulls --> pushes every couple of minutes.

Code's here - https://github.com/paultag/vcs-mirror - it's a big hack,
but perhaps this could let you forget about keeping it in sync.

> By the way, you can t use Debian repo to put several repo. a github repo
> refers to a single git repo.
>
> For info, there is a very nice github like free tool named gitlab , but it I
> a software, not a service.

gitlabhq* :)

But that's not what their upstream is on.