Re: Packaging on GitHub ?

* Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> for one of the packages maintained by the pkg-eucalyptus team (euca2ools), the
> upstream source moved to GitHub, and we would like to try to maintain the
> Debian package there as well.
>
> I see that there is already a Debian account on GitHub
> (https://github.com/debian), currently empty.  Does it belong to a Developer ?
> Would it be availble to maintain the euca2ools package in ?
>
> I never tried GitHub before.  I know it is not Free.  The point maintaining a
> Debian package on GitHub would be to easily make pull requests to Upstream.  Is
> it something that would be doable from external repositories, for instance
> making a pull request to GitHub from Alioth ?  (I mean, the Pull Request
> function of GitHub, not sending an email Upstream saying in plain English that
> they can pull from Alioth).

I believe a Github pull-request must reference a commit within Github itself.
You could still file an issue linking to an external repository, but I suspect
they're encouraging you to use Github for packaging so they can leverage all of
the utilities that Github provides. You could always use Alioth as the primary
repository and keep an updated mirror on Github just for this sort of thing.

--
Jon