Re: Moving /tmp to tmpfs makes it useless

On Sat, 26 May 2012, Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez wrote:
> So please, don't argue about theoretical things about virtual memory or
> IO schedulers. If you are a desktop Linux user, you should know how ugly
> the things get when the system is swapping.

Mine is not that annoying, but certainly not because of the defaults.

Actually, it is more appropriate if I phrase my experience like this: "it
gets no worse with tmpfs for my workload, and I benefit from tmpfs speed".

> I don't know the ultimate reason behind this ugly behaviour of Linux when
> the swapping process is happening, but I know this is real and it

Tunning this is hard, and the kernel is still not doing things well even
after you tune it, it does make bad calls, mostly on the filesystem
writeback.

  Henrique Holschuh