Re: Moving /tmp to tmpfs makes it useless

On 05/25/2012 05:41 PM, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le vendredi 25 mai 2012 à 11:04 +0200, Salvo Tomaselli a écrit :
>
>> Apparently not everybody has experienced that, and this would explain why they
>> are so happy about the idea of paging out a couple of Gigabytes.
>>
> Because paging out a couple Gigabytes is veeeeeery different from
> writing a couple Gigabytes to disk, of course.

Of course it is, and that's the whole point !!!

When a system is swapping, you can click, nothing happens...
If it's a server, that's even worse. You type "top" to see what
the fuck is going on, and then you wait ... Even in some cases,
you can't even log in through ssh (or it's so slow...).

If an application is blocked writing on /tmp, and you think it's
taking too much time and you want to kill it, open a terminal,
and type "xkill" (or just kill with the kill / killall command if
you're on a server). That's instant, and your system continues
to be responsive.

>From my experience, all of the above is also the case on a
relatively fast RAID10 (eg: 200 MB/s) with 4 cores...

IMO, if you didn't get that point, then you didn't understand
this thread at all.

Thomas