Re: removal of Qt3

On Mon, 21 May 2012 13:03:04 +0800
Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:

> On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 12:58 AM, Ana Guerrero wrote:
>
> > In the last days, I have taken a look into how much needed to be done to
> > remove Qt3 and there were slightly more than 50 packages depending directly
> > or indirectly from Qt3. A removal from Wheezy seemed doable
> > given that removing packages is never a problem during the Debian freeze ;-)
>
> Doesn't LSB compliance require Qt3 ?

meh.

> Doesn't look like we can drop Qt3 completely unless we drop LSB or LSB
> switches to Qt4.

Does LSB matter? It is an archaic selection of packages which
completely useless for a universal operating system. (It also causes
severe hassle for automated dependency checks in Emdebian or any
Debian derivative.)

Why do we care about LSB? Why do we have to have *all* the LSB
packages when two lsb packages stand out from the rest.

http://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=lsb

If lsb-desktop becomes uninstallable it can be dropped like any
other package.

--

Neil Williams