Re: debuild/dpkg-buildpackage behaves not as expected

James McCoy <vega.james@gmail.com> writes:
> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 04:23:05PM +0200, Olе Streicher wrote:
>> Unpatching the sources *before* the build process was cleaned up makes
>> no sense to me at all. Could you provide a use case for that?
> As was described in #649531:
>
>   vcs clone <repository with unpatched source>
>   cd repo
>   ... tweak a little ...
>   dpkg-buildpackage; # applies patches, builds, and unapplies patches
>   vcs diff; # looks good?
>   vcs commit

This works only for the special case that "build" does not change any
source file. Otherwise you would also commit the changed source files.

Since for Debian you have only changes in the debian/ subdirectory, you
may do the following:

vcs clone <repository with unpatched source>
cd repo
.... tweak a little ...
dpkg-buildpackage; # applies patches, builds, and unapplies patches
vcs diff debian
vcs commit debian

this does not require unpatching, since it commits only the "debian"
subdirectory, which is not affected by any patches.

Therefore, I don't see that the workflow you mentioned is a use case
that would require unpatching.

[Quoting restored: Goswin wrote]
>>> What happens if you now call
>>>     debuild patch
>>> to apply the patches in a 3.0 (quilt) package that has patch/unpatch
>>> targets?

>> because it does *not* leave the sources in the same state.

> Yes, it does.

He wrote it himself: "patch" was meant as a target that *applies* the
patches. Therefore, it does not leave the sources in the same state
(since it applies the patches).

> If you started with patches applied, then they will still be applied
> after calling "dpkg-buildpackage".  If you didn't have patches
> applied, then "dpkg-buildpackage" will apply the patches, build and
> unapply the patches.

We discussed the "debuild patch" option here which was introduced by
Goswin.

Best

Ole