Re: debuild/dpkg-buildpackage behaves not as expected

Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de> writes:
> What automatic reversal? There is no automatic reversal. The default
> state of source is with patches applied.

Hmm. I have overlooked this when reading bug report #649531.

The order how the steps are applied, is clearly:

1. patch the sources
2. build the package

If you want to reverse this, one clearly should to it in reverse order:

1. cleanup from the build process
2. unpatch the sources

Unpatching the sources *before* the build process was cleaned up makes
no sense to me at all. Could you provide a use case for that?

> Wether debuild <target> should apply patches before running the target
> is arguable. But lets say it does apply patches before the target and
> then restores the source to the state it was before after the
> target. What happens if you now call
>
>     debuild patch
>
> to apply the patches in a 3.0 (quilt) package that has patch/unpatch
> targets?
>
> Patches would be applied before that patch target is called, then patch
> is called and does nothing (or fails) and then patches are unapplied
> again to restore the original state.
>
> Not what you want.

A "patch" target would contradict your statement

> dpkg-source leaves the source in the same state it finds it before
> build.

because it does *not* leave the sources in the same state.

Cheers

Ole