Re: why do people introduce stup^Wstrange changes to quilt 3.0 format

On Thu, 17 May 2012, Charles Plessy wrote:
> It strikes me that while we have more than 6,500 source packages
> managed with Git, we are pushing for a source package format that does
> not work transparently with them.

It does, but not on all workflows.  A very large number of DDs are using
3.0 (quilt) with git just fine.

I don't exactly like quilt, in fact all my patch-based work is done
using stgit, but:

1) it is much better than dpatch and other homebrew stuff.  At least you
know exactly what to expect, and it is the same in the entire distro.

2) properly used, it enforces neatness and lowers a damn great deal the
barrier of entry (*and* reduces the risk of mistakes) for someone who
needs to do quick maintenance, security updates, NMUs, when taking over
the package, and even for automated extraction of changes to upstream
code.

> Also, it is very sad that, as a project, we can not decide whether we
> go for 3.0 (git) or not, or have a concrete list of resolvable
> objections from the people whose work is direclty impacted by the use
> of this format.

This is a _very_ dead horse.  I'd appreciate if you'd kindly refrain
from any further attempts at necromancy on this thread.

  Henrique Holschuh