Re: why do people introduce stup^Wstrange changes to quilt 3.0 format

Hi,

On Di, 15 Mai 2012, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hmmm, what exactly is "normal testing *as*usual*"?  Isn't it a duty of

Like I have, a test bed testing various upgrade and install scenaria
from stable/testing/sid.

> the maintainer to inspect critical parts of the code?  IMHO existing

Not all patches are for *code*. comments in config files etc etc.

The whole point is: this behaviour declares developers uncapable of
deciding by themselves!

I want decide *myself* when I unfuzzify. Not dpkg-source.
dpkg-source should do its work, and nothing else. Not
taking over *my* responsability in checking this, because it is not
a check, at all. Let us make a small Gedankenexperiment:

According to many of these suggestions here I should run something
like quilt push ; quilt refresh; ... for all patches regularly,
or in a script. That only *hides* the fact that there was a fuzz.
What is better? A patch that tells me that it is fuzzy or a patch
that is wasted and destroyed to a automatic quilt push ; refresh
that moves the patch around?

This behaviour as advertised here to unfuzzify patches is actually
counter-productive.

No, it is taking over responsability that is and should only be in
the developers hand.

If we continue in this way, what is next? We have to name patches in
a very specific way? Or what other funny rules and regulations
are there created.

I don't know who is writing this and whether this is his spare time or
he is emplyoed for that. But I am using my free time and that is rare,
and I want to decide by myself, not be forced to do things how
dpkg maintainers thought it is a good idea.
(what is next? dpkg-source checking that we are not running under X
not to be distracted? Or checking our passwd file that not more than
one user is active? just to name a few development ideas!)

Anyway, I will migrate away from 3.0 as far as possible.

Best wishes

Norbert
SCRABSTER (n.)
One of those dogs which has it off on your leg during tea.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff