Re: Licenses not in /usr/share/common-licenses

Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> writes:

> given that the source and binary packages are considered a single entity
> -- otherwise we would be violating the GPLs v1 and v2 -- the Debian
> copyright file is not necessary from a strictly legal point of view.

I don't see the logical justification for this statement.  Our compliance
with the GPL does not rely on considering source and binary packages as a
single entity.  The GPL explicitly permits us to treat them as two
separate entities and distribute the source separately (which is what we
do).