Re: Licenses not in /usr/share/common-licenses

"Thomas Preud'homme" <robotux@celest.fr> writes:
> Le mardi 8 mai 2012 07:56:35, Peter Miller a écrit :

>> I has always puzzled me that there are not license packages that one
>> could Depends on, and get the appropriate license placed in the
>> appropriate place.  Apt-get is an excellent mechanism for that kind of
>> thing, why not use it?

> Because every package must have a license delivered with it. The case of
> licenses in base-files is a compromise given that they are very popular
> and that this package is normally installed on any Debian system.

I think the core question is: why is base-files special?  Yes, it's
essential and all, but that doesn't address the case of packages being
downloaded separate from Debian, or unpacked by hand, in which case we
don't include a license.  If we're legally fine with that, I'm having a
hard time seeing the clear distinction between that and a dependency on
another package including the license.

Surely this has been discussed before?  I don't remember seeing it on the
debian-policy list since I started working on Policy.