Re: Licenses not in /usr/share/common-licenses

Le Fri, May 11, 2012 at 10:10:17PM -0400, Michael Gilbert a écrit :

> Succinctly, the copyright file itself is irrelevant in the source
> package since the upstream source should have all of that information
> already, and at least for the GPL you can distribute source packages
> as is.  Thus, the issue is reduced to the need for full license texts
> only in all binary packages.

Hi all,

given that the source and binary packages are considered a single entity --
otherwise we would be violating the GPLs v1 and v2 -- the Debian copyright file
is not necessary from a strictly legal point of view.

It is therefore a facility to our infrastructure and a service to our users,
and it is up to us as a project to decide its contents.  One unwritten rule is
that it has to contain all the necessary information for the FTP team to review
the package.  A first step in order to lift the requirement to include a verbatim
copy of all licenses that are not distributed in /usr/share/common-licenses
would be to ask the FTP team their opinion on that matter.

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan