Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

On May 11, Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> wrote:

> You can either copy the file or use the .include directive (which was
> already mentioned) and only override the settings you need.
Not with udev or kmod.

> > The problem with etc-overrides-lib is that a file must be copied in
> > full from /lib to /etc to be modified, and then future changes to the
> > same file in /lib will be ignored (so maybe the package will break
> > because these changes are required, etc).
> This argument goes both ways, though. I've received more than one bug
> report about uses fiddling with their sysv init scripts, then blindly
> pressing ok during the upgrade or using non-interactive mode (which kept
> the locally modified version) and the daemon failed to start due to
> required changes being missing in the locally modified version.
But this is a user error. The point is that with etc-overrides-lib there
is no prompt at all when the upstream configuration changes.
This is good for Red Hat, because they can guarantee that no relevant
changes will appear until the next major release, but is bad for us who
actually support system upgrades.

--
ciao,
Marco