Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

On 05/10/2012 12:14 AM, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> Not having the files in /etc by default does have technical advantages.
> It's easier to see what is local non-default configuration. Original
> default file is always available in a known location (and very easy to
> revert to, temporarily for testing or permanently).
Actually, what you are talking about is a very good candidate
for /usr/share/doc/<package>/examples, not at all for a weird
things with config files in /lib overridden by /etc, which really,
isn't the Debian way.

On 05/10/2012 12:14 AM, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> which in most
> cases is more maintainable than the 3-way merging required by
> "traditional" conffiles.

The 3-way merging at least prompts you that something is changing
so you have a chance to update your config file by hand the way you
think is best. If the package updates the config file in /lib without
prompting, then potentially, the user will not be aware of the
change.

In a RPM based environment, this behavior is fine, because that's
the RPM way to never prompt anything to the user (see *.rpmsave
or *.rpmnew files). But this is exactly why I don't like RPM systems!

On 05/10/2012 12:14 AM, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> It's also preferable to avoid unnecessarily differing from the setup
> used on other distros.

IMO, it's preferable to do things the same way on all packages
in Debian. I don't see why systemd should be different from any
other package we have in the Debian archve. If systemd can't
adapt to our ways to do things, with configuration files in /etc,
then I'm betting that many will complain (IMO rightly) about
policy violation.

(just my 2 cents, as I still have on my todo to try systemd...)

Cheers,

Thomas