Re: Enabling hardened build flags for Wheezy

Le Tue, May 01, 2012 at 05:22:34PM -0700, Russ Allbery a écrit :

> See, for example, the --help output of any recent configure script:
>
> | Some influential environment variables:
> |   CC          C compiler command
> |   CFLAGS      C compiler flags
> |   LDFLAGS     linker flags, e.g. -L<lib dir> if you have libraries in a
> |               nonstandard directory <lib dir>
> |   LIBS        libraries to pass to the linker, e.g. -l<library>
> |   CPPFLAGS    (Objective) C/C++ preprocessor flags, e.g. -I<include dir> if
> |               you have headers in a nonstandard directory <include dir>
> |   CPP         C preprocessor

Thanks.  I have updated our upstream guide on wiki.debian.org, to mention
dpkg-buildflags and the variables it sets.

Perhaps somebody more experienced than me can proofread and complement if
needed ?  Here is the current content.

  Some make variables are reserved to the user, and the Automake manual and the
  GNU coding standards advise to never use them for switches that are required
  for proper compilation of the package. When a Debian binary package is built,
  default environment variables are prepared by dpkg-buildflags (In Debian
  Wheezy: CFLAGS, CPPFLAGS, CXXFLAGS, FFLAGS and LDFLAGS), to allow the build
  system to override the corresponding variables in the Makefile. We therefore
  strongly recommend to follow the above advice, and to make your makefiles use
  these variables were relevant, in a way that our build system can override
  them.

http://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamGuide#Make

Have a nice day,

--