Re: Enabling hardened build flags for Wheezy

Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> writes:

> This said, the point that I want to make, is that we switched from a
> situation where the actual communication channel between our and
> upstreams makefile was C(XX)FLAGS, to a situation where CPPFLAGS and
> LDFLAGS also got some data input in by our toolchain.  If there are
> other variables that forseen to be used the same way in the future, it
> would be great to document it somewhere, so that we can be prepared.

Other than CC and CPP (the compiler and preprocessor, which you rarely
need to change), LIBS is the only other one, and that's specifically for
libraries to link with.

Other than the flags for Fortran (and similar for other languages), that's
the complete set of variables that Autoconf cares about for communication
with the compiler and the build system, and that set has been unchanged
for quite a while.  I don't expect it to change in the future, or at least
if it does we'll have lots of warning.

See, for example, the --help output of any recent configure script: