Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian
- To: email@example.com
- Subject: Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian
- From: Roger Leigh <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 11:21:34 +0100
- Message-id: <[🔎] 20120501102134.GO28298@codelibre.net>
- In-reply-to: <CANVYNa-jRxKFeicsVHZ2Mzbe-4NLdkfQMFMyex5BDb+uf8GiAQ@mail.gmail.com>
- References: <20120426180317.GM8215@jones.dk> <20120427064924.GY6396@ltw.loris.tv> <20120429174548.GF28298@codelibre.net> <20120429181944.GA14299@bongo.bofh.it> <20120429201451.GH28298@codelibre.net> <CANVYNa8w36rE26QaXEyxeGNa4e_tQpYRkp3+T1OMhAqa4-_Shg@mail.gmail.com> <4F9EA852.email@example.com> <CANVYNa-Pad0N6bw-k2H4cBsmCwyqFJOm3Zq-jVmW33qQ8dW3ZQ@mail.gmail.com> <20120430155009.GL28298@codelibre.net> <CANVYNa-jRxKFeicsVHZ2Mzbe-4NLdkfQMFMyex5BDb+uf8GiAQ@mail.gmail.com>
On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 02:00:15PM -0300, Fernando Lemos wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 12:50 PM, Roger Leigh <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 12:04:32PM -0300, Fernando Lemos wrote:
> >> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Thomas Goirand <email@example.com> wrote:
> >> > On 04/30/2012 04:56 AM, Fernando Lemos wrote:
> >> >> I agree that OpenRC would be an improvement over the status
> >> >> quo, but migrating *away* from OpenRC later on would be a major pain
> >> >> as we would have to support both LSB/sysvinit scripts and OpenRC
> >> >> service descriptions for the foreseeable future.
> >> >>
> >> > Ah? Is this any different with other alternatives like
> >> > upstart or systemd?
> >> Yes. The kernel isn't getting any less event-based, so OpenRC would be
> >> an interim solution.
> > Unless OpenRC itself could become more event-based.
> How realistic is that?
I'm not sure yet. That's one of the things I'd like to find out.
.''`. Roger Leigh
: :' : Debian GNU/Linux http://people.debian.org/~rleigh/
`. `' schroot and sbuild http://alioth.debian.org/projects/buildd-tools
`- GPG Public Key F33D 281D 470A B443 6756 147C 07B3 C8BC 4083 E800