Re: wine-unstable in Debian

Michael Gilbert <michael.s.gilbert@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 5:27 AM, Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de> wrote:
>> Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> writes:

>>> That's hijacking in disguise. Don't do it!
>>
>> I only sporadically read this thread. But isn't one of the problems with
>> wine that different things run with different wine versions?
>>
>> Under that assumption I would think having wine-x.y packages would be a
>> good thing and that they should be coinstallable. They can share an
>> alternative for wine.
>>
>>> Use the tech-committee if you run out of normal procedures. That's its
>>> purpose.
>>>

>>>  - Jonas
>>
>> As a side note: One problem with wine is that it needs 32bit libraries
>> on amd64 and the state of ia32-libs. Ia32-libs does have some bugs open
>> concerning wine, specifically it doesn't allow building wine from source
>> (again) and some version skews between libraries.
>
> All of those bugs were reported by people trying to build upstream
> wine from source (which may be what you meant).  But otherwise, they
> are all normal bugs that have already been corrected via NMUs in the
> Debian package:
> http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/w/wine/wine_1.0.1-3.5/changelog.txt
>
> So this isn't something worth worrying about.
>
>> Since we now have multiarch this isn't going to get fixed in ia32-libs
>> and the wine package should no longer build on amd64 but instead
>> wine:i386 should be used.
>
> It does no harm to continue to build wine with -m32 on amd64, but if
> ia32-libs does go away, then all of wine's i386 multiarch dependencies
> will need to be in place.
>
> Best wishes,
> Mike

The plan for wheezy is that ia32-libs goes away. At least that it will
be just a transitional package that depends on the :i386 packages.

And yes, that is not yet ready so any people pitching in and getting a
library package multiarchified will help. The patches are in the BTS,
they just need to be applied.

MfG
        Goswin