Re: what to do is maintainer is lacking?

Am 18.04.2012 16:26, schrieb Scott Kitterman:
On Wednesday, April 18, 2012 04:57:14 PM Thomas Goirand wrote:
On 04/18/2012 08:27 AM, Steve McIntyre wrote:
If a maintainer isn't (capable of) doing the necessary work on a
package themselves, then after a while the best thing they can do is
admit that and cede control to others. It's not an easy thing to admit
"failure" like this, but it's better to do it for the good of our
users and other developers than to continue blocking people. It's also
better for the developer involved to get away from the feelings of
guilt they may be having about not keeping up. There's no shame in
admitting a lack of time on a big volunteer project, we all understand
how this works...
This isn't aimed at the WINE maintainers (I didn't read the bug report,
and I don't really care about this package) but...

what can we do if the maintainer doesn't admit his lack of time or his
lack of skills/knowledge? My understanding is that in Debian, we are
stuck, right? I believe that was the message of Chris: we don't really
have procedures to take over a package, others than convincing the
maintainer.
A couple of times I've said "It looks like you could use some help.  Would you
like me to co-maintain with you?" and have generally gotten a positive
response.  If it's put in terms of "Looks like you're busy, I can help" and
not "You suck and should be fired so I can take over" people seem to be pretty
open to it.

Scott K
Such unpoliteness may happen, but I belief in the case of WINE it does not go in that direction, even if some users / developers would not mind if the tone would get a bit harsher there (let's face it, the situation was bad for years and still is, even if *some* progress is made now). Anyway, up to now, officially, afaik Ove was kindly asked several times if he needs help but he is a bit reluctant to just accept that help unconditionally. In his pov to built good WINE-packages some effort has to be made and others would likely just "hack" something together. He has seen such things in the past, so he wants others to prove first that they have quality in mind too. One could argue if Oves standards are too high (at least for some / most users), but that IS the right of every maintainer and at least I prefer quality over fast-shots. That said, the WINE-situation is somewhat peculiar and after reading the mentioned bug-report and this thread with parts of its offspring "what to do if a maintainer is lacking...", I have to say the *situation* (not any individual involved) just sucks! :)

It is just not that simple here... at least in the WINE-situation. I am just a user and not deeply involved (apart from a bugreport here and there no involvement at all) in Debian but I truely hope most MIA / QA / TC situations are a lot simpler! :)

regards
Michael