Re: what to do is maintainer is lacking?

On Wednesday, April 18, 2012 11:19:39, Russ Allbery wrote:

<snipping to here because I believe the below stands well on its own>
> When we're talking about packaging significant new upstream releases, I
> think NMUs are dodging the problem in a somewhat unuseful way, and we
> really need to sort out the maintenance of the package going forward
> instead.
>
> Personally (and, for that matter, as a Technical Committee member), I'm
> going to generally lean towards letting the person with time do the
> package maintenance work rather than the person with no time, even if the
> standards and practices that the person with no time would like to work
> within are admirable and strong.  It feels to me like a fairly fundamental
> rule of free software that, modulo cases where there's a serious technical
> disagreement that could lead to software not working or doing nasty
> things, that people who don't have time to do work don't get to block
> people who do have time to do work.  I try to apply that to myself as
> well; if I don't have time to do it "right," then at some point I no
> longer really have a right to tell other people how to do it and require
> that they do it that way.

I think the above is reasonable and fits the Debian "do-acracy" methodology.

At the same time, I also understand that this is a tough call to make.
Removing the current maintainer if they're not totally MIA may not seem right
-- it may feel "heavy-handed". Perhaps in these cases, adding an additional
maintainer that is currently working on the package(s) and notifiying the
current maintainer(s) that this has been done seems reasonable.

  -- Chris

--
Chris Knadle
Chris.Knadle@coredump.us