Re: [pkg-lighttpd] Changing the default document root for HTTP server

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 7:15 PM, Arno Töll <arno@debian.org> wrote:
> On 16.04.2012 18:59, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
>> Defining a standard for vhosts would solve the problem without having
>> to touch the normal doc root. Seems like a far simpler fix.
>
> how would you do that? We can't control or enforce what directory people
> pick for their virtual hosts. We do not and can not configure any
> virtual host beyond a default.

Ensure default conf and examples use /srv/<host>
See lighttpd's simple-vhost conf.
You could do the same in vhost_alias.conf
You could also provide an site.example file in sites-available

> Of course we could just write some docs and tell people "please use /srv
> for your personal vhosts", but that's not going to solve the problem I
> want to address. Most people generally do not read documentation and
> those who do, most likely already realize using the default /var/www
> vhost plus custom /var/www/site vhosts causes problems.

You're right, solving this via docs is not a good approach.

--
Olaf