Re: wine-unstable in Debian

On Sunday, April 15, 2012 09:32:53, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 01:18:28PM +0200, Petr Baudis wrote:
> >   I am rather dazzled that while there is working source package
> >
> > of wine-1.5 ready, other people are working on gradually packaging
> > wine-1.1.x releases;
>
> I'm surprised that not everyone involved is such dazzled.

I'm similarly confused.  I'm not sure I correctly understand the reasoning,
but I'll summarize what I've gathered having read the bug report.

In the bug report Zack pointed to [#585409] the bottom line seems to be:

A) packaging every release up to 1.2 for quality-assurance reasons

   I'm not sure I know what "for quality-assurance reasons" means here.

   My best guess is that it would allow someone to do some kind of custom
   Git checkout of the source package to get and build an older verison of
   the package in order to support certain Windows software that won't work
   as well when run in newever versions of WINE.

   I don't know how many people would use this feature of the source
   package, but I suspect it would be rare, so I'm dubious if this effort
   is worth holding up all newer WINE versions in order to have it.  I'm
   also wondering if WINE 1.5 could be packaged and committed to the Git
   repo, and if WINE 1.1.x versions could be committed later, rather than
   having to hold up everything newer in order to package WINE 1.1.x
   versions first.
   Since commits are based on the parent, isn't this something Git can do?

B) issues with both multiarch support and backporting

C) Current WINE maintainers are either MIA or time overload elsewhere.
Volunteers trying to help who have made additional 1.1.x packages are stuck
waiting because they do not have access to the pkg-wine git repo.

  -- Chris

--
Chris Knadle
Chris.Knadle@coredump.us