Social Networking Servers

The perils of commercial social networking are becoming more widely known, as
demonstrated by the above post by Charles Stross and the article he cites.

Currently we have a RFP filed for Diaspora.  Praveen has asked for help in
getting the Ruby Gems needed by Diaspora in Debian.

We also have a RFP for diaspora-x2, Jonas reported working on this and having
a private repository just over a year ago with no updates since.

Is there any progress being made on packaging these systems?  Are there other
social networking systems released under free licenses that we can package?