Re: On init in *Debian*

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 4:48 PM, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:
> I really think that what's missing here is:
> - Improve sysvinit and make it better to fit our needs without breaking
> anything (eg: less scripts redundancy, parallel booting, ...).

You're missing the point. We already have parallel booting. Less
script redundancy, while being something it seems most of us (if not
all of us) are interested in, is just a nice side effect of switching
to a modern init system.

An improved init system would need to be event based, as many people
with actual knowledge on the issue have already stated (as the Linux
kernel itself is becoming increasingly event-based). Turning sysvinit
into an event-based init system is basically rewriting it. So what
you're proposing to boils down to "let's start a new event-based init
system from scratch".

So you're saying we could create this brand new init system instead of
using stuff that is being used in the real world. And you're also
saying that this would be done in a way that will cause less breakage
than using alternatives that have been used for quite some time now. I
don't mean to sound disrespectful, but this makes no sense at all.

Regards,