Re: On init in Debian

On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 18:23:57 +0800
Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:

> On 03/17/2012 08:10 AM, Fernando Lemos wrote:
> > Right now, creating a init script means copying an ugly 159-line
> > skeleton and carefully editing it, hoping not to break anything
> > while at it. Even if we can't have a single generator for multiple
> > init systems, having something declarative to build most init
> > scripts we need would be a big step forward and it would make a lot
> > of sense as well in a future where we may need to support multiple
> > init systems.

> some others to review my work. The ultimate goal would be that
> packages would simply need to do something like:
>
> NAME=package-binary-file
> DESC="package daemon description"

If you are planning to generate these out of systemd/upstart configs,
both provide a description field, but I don't see a name field from
either.
http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.unit.html
http://linux.die.net/man/5/init

> [ -e . /usr/share/sysv-lib/debsysv-lib ] && debsysv-init-lib $@
>
> That's (in best cases) only 3 lines, (plus the lsb-base header)...
> Of course, in many cases, we need a bit more, this could be
> implemented with things like START_OPTS / STOP_OPTS and
> so on, and maybe some hooks for start/stop functions.

Hopefully there is some way to know (as a user) that a service doesn't
support restart (or some other arbitrary target). Services that
silently fail to (re)start are rather annoying....
thanks,
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK7FOSS)