Re: On init in Debian

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 4:05 PM, Andreas Metzler
<ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org> wrote:
> Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 14:37:39 +0100, Vincent Danjean <vdanjean.ml@free.fr> wrote:
> [...]
>>> * We could try to define a file format that allow a conversion (by a
>>>   separate specific tool or at runtime) to various init systems.
>>>   This would avoid to be blocked by the syntax/features of one "source"
>>>   init system.
>
>> This was mentioned in the thread (I forget by whom) and strikes me as
>> the only viable strategy, in that this is the only way that the various
>> factions can all collaborate on making a workable solution, rather than
>> fighting for theirs to be The One True Init.
> [...]
>
> I am not sure this actually is a big improvement, we might end up with
>
> * either being limited to the common featureset
> * or doing something like
> #ifdef systemd
> elseif upstart
> which is almost as bad as having to ship both init-scripts and systemd
> configuration file.

Having a sysvinit script generator today would be a great improvement
over the status quo. It's almost orthogonal to discussing a
replacement for sysvinit, as it would follow the current trend of
replacing lots of manually crafted, error-prone code by something
simpler (e.g. debhelper, then dh).

Right now, creating a init script means copying an ugly 159-line
skeleton and carefully editing it, hoping not to break anything while
at it. Even if we can't have a single generator for multiple init
systems, having something declarative to build most init scripts we
need would be a big step forward and it would make a lot of sense as
well in a future where we may need to support multiple init systems.

The real solution would be, of course, deciding on an alternative init
system with sane service description files.

Regards,