Re: On init in Debian

On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 14:37:39 +0100, Vincent Danjean <vdanjean.ml@free.fr> wrote:
> Le 16/03/2012 11:14, Lars Wirzenius a écrit :
> > * We could try to have a tool to automatically convert an upstart or systemd
> >   service configuration into a sysvinit init.d script. I have no idea if that
> >   is really feasible, but if it worked for most packages, we could probably
> >   live with the others requiring some manual work.
>
> * We could try to define a file format that allow a conversion (by a
>   separate specific tool or at runtime) to various init systems.
>   This would avoid to be blocked by the syntax/features of one "source"
>   init system.

This was mentioned in the thread (I forget by whom) and strikes me as
the only viable strategy, in that this is the only way that the various
factions can all collaborate on making a workable solution, rather than
fighting for theirs to be The One True Init.

It also has the added bonus of allowing a future transition to an as yet
undreamt of opto-quantum-nano-init without having to reiterate all this
grizzling.

If we could get buy-in from other distros and other *nix variants, we
might have some chance of solving this problem for them as well, once
we've done the proof of concept -- although I'd presume that NIH would
probably stop it getting anywhere with RedHat or SUSE, unfortunately.

Cheers, Phil.