Re: debian-multimedia.org considered harmful

Eric Valette <eric.valette@free.fr> writes:

> Again, I can understand the reasons, but an average user expects to be
> able to read dvd or blue-ray or to get a decent multimedia player.

People are right to expect free use of the things they acquire legally.
That doesn't change the fact that the copyright and patent laws, which
are outside the control of the Debian project, restrict that freedom.

> Other distribution do have ways to provide it to their users.

What concrete action of those other distributions do you suggest the
Debian project should do?

Do those actions, that you think Debian should emulate, involve
violating the law, or violating Debian's social contract, or increasing
the burden on our security team? If any of those, that may tell you why
it's not already being done.

> You can tomorrow take the packaging done and integrate the non law
> encumbered packages into normal debian repository or enhance them if
> it does not strictly adhere to Debian standard.

My understanding of reading this thread so far is that those packages
that meet Debian's standards *are* being integrated into Debian.

--
 \          “Jury: A group of 12 people, who, having lied to the judge |
  `\       about their health, hearing, and business engagements, have |