Re: Quilt patch for patching things in the debian folder

On Wed, Mar 07, 2012 at 12:52:53PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 07, 2012 at 11:17:44AM +0100, Michael Hanke wrote:
> >
> > Not exactly the same thing, but for backporting for various releases we
> > (NeuroDebian) quite often have to adjust the Debian packaging itself,
> > but still want to have everything stored in a single source package.
> > And we do store these patches in debian/patches. However, they are not
> > applied at build-time. Instead we have a backporting script that
> > generates a new source package with the changes applied (using dedicated
> > per-release series files). I submitted that script as a potential
> > addition to the devscripts package some time ago.
>
> Was you aware about dpkg-vendor at the time of writing this script?

Yes, but AFAIK it was neither available in the Debian stable release at
that time, nor in the respective Ubuntu LTS -- which are our primary
backporting targets.

Anyway, I think that most of the stuff backport-dsc does could be done
with dpkg-vendor. However, I still somewhat like the idea of having a
fairly simple, static source package as a result of a backporting run,
instead of implementing the switching logic with build-time
control/changelog manipulation inside a once-and-for-all packaging. But
we are clearly targeting the backporting business and not so much a
derivative workflow. Needless to mention that both approaches could be
combined easily.

Michael

--
Michael Hanke