Re: Enabling package installation for non-root users

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 16:32:18 +0100, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a way to enable non-root users to install packages on
> their local machines, but not removing/purging them.

Well, perhaps an option (which also allows removal) is what used to be
called klik, but what (now that I look again) appears to have become:

  http://portablelinuxapps.org/

klik used file system overlays to make applications installable as a
normal user by bundling up all the dependencies in an (when it was klik
at least) ISO image, and mounting that over the file system, so the app
gets to see its own versions of the libraries etc. thus sidestepping
dependecy problems.

Things seem to have moved on from there, and it's not about installing
native packages, but it might be what you're looking for nevertheless.

Cheers, Phil.