Re: upstart: please update to latest upstream version

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 08:08:18PM +0000, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 07:24:20AM +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> > ]] Tzafrir Cohen

> > > In sysv init scripts the daemon forks into the background. In upstrart
> > > and systemd it doesn't have to (or shouldn't). (not) forking requires a
> > > different command-line argument, normally. This leads to odd beasts such
> > > as safe_mysqld.

> > You can just use the --background switch to start-stop-daemon with
> > sysvinit scripts.

> It's still a different command. And anyway, very often the daemon itself
> needs to handle the PID files, which means that I can't use that.

> But more importantly, start-stop-daemon only starts and stops the daemon
> once. It's not a daemon monitor. Would there be any objection if I
> replaced init.d scripts in some of my packages with runit configs (as
> does the git daemon)?

The git daemon offers alternatives: one package with a sysvinit config, and
one with a runit config.  If that's what you have in mind, I don't think
anyone would object.  But making your server package use runit exclusively
would certainly bring objections.  If we actually believed runit was a
viable replacement for sysvinit, we could have done *that* transition well
before either upstart or systemd even existed; but we didn't, and I think
imposing runit on users of your package while Policy 9.3.2 says you should
be using sysvinit would be frowned upon.

I for one would welcome a policy discussion (i.e., on debian-policy) of how
runit fits into the larger question of preserving coherence of the Debian
system while allowing maintainers to take advantage of (or experiment with)
new innovations.