Re: upstart: please update to latest upstream version

On Sat, 2012-02-25 at 09:37 +0000, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-02-25 at 00:51 +0100, Svante Signell wrote:
> > On Fri, 2012-02-24 at 15:42 -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> [...]
> > Why not simply implement the early boot event driven parts in init as
> > proposed earlier, and get rid of these non-portable commercial stuff.
> > Are you really committed to Debian? Maybe you should work for Canonical
> > or RedHat?
>
> Please take such mail elsewhere, preferably to /dev/null.  (You may also
> wish to get a little more of a clue as to some of the organisations
> which employ active DDs.)

Looks like Steve is an employee of Canonical. Yes, I could have found
that out, but are you really expected to check every person submitting
to this mailing list before sending a mail to it. I don't think that
should be a requirement, this list is about Debian, who is contributing
to free software. Nevertheless, I think too much of commercial software
is enforced on the community due to company agendas. And the CLA licence
is definitely not good with respect to free software development.

> > Yes, I'm prepared to take the flames!
>
> Debian's technical lists aren't, nor do they belong there.

I was maybe overreacting, but the main issue remains: Debian is working
according to their social contract, and the principles should not be
overridden by commercial interests. Debian main interest is and should
in the future also be focused on their users, nothing else!!