Re: upstart: please update to latest upstream version

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 08:26:16AM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:

> > I see the following as a serious issue: upstart requires contributors
> > to sign the Canonical contributor agreement
> > (http://www.canonical.com/contributors).

> This is unlike most free-software projects, where “inbound = outbound”
> <URL:http://opensource.com/law/11/7/trouble-harmony-part-1> is the
> (often unstated) rule and all parties in the project are equal with
> regard to licensing.

> Instead, Canonical requires a contributor agreement (whose terms I can't
> even read <URL:https://forms.canonical.com/contributor/>, because it
> petulantly requires a site account at Launchpad)

That's not the right place to read the agreement, that's the link for you to
fill out the form *agreeing* to it, and for that, Canonical obviously cares
about knowing who you are. ;)

The right URL for this is
<http://www.canonical.com/sites/default/files/active/images/Canonical-HA-CLA-ANY-I.pdf>,
linked from <http://www.canonical.com/contributors>.

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 07:58:21PM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > Also, the only practical way this differs from the situation with
> > software from either the Free Software Foundation or the Apache
> > Software Foundation seems to be that, oddly, more people think
> > Canonical is evil than think the FSF and ASF are evil.

> It's not so much a question of 'is upstream evil' (if so, why are we
> packaging this software?) but 'could upstream turn evil'.  I'm far
> from agreeing with the FSF on many issues, and I don't really believe
> in the value of copyright assignment.  But I also recognise that the
> FSF is bound by its non-profit status and broad membership in ways
> that a for-profit company like Canonical is not.

I can well understand why some Free Software developers would decide not to
contribute to a project that requires copyright assignment or a copyright
license agreement such as this one.  But it would be historical revisionism
to suggest that having copyright held by a single company makes a project
unsuitable to be used as the basis for work in Debian.[1]

Debian has always sought to use the *technically best* free software that it
can to build upon.  And while maintainability is one aspect of technical
quality, and it's appropriate to question the possibility of an upstream
going rogue, I think it would be a shame if this question was given
excessive weight when making decisions about the future of init on Linux
that we're going to have to live with for some time.

[1] Examples: MySQL as the "default" database for lots of projects;
Sleepycat/BDB as the backend for plenty of software, sometimes chosen over
GDBM; Qt; fox of ice and fire; and probably countless others that don't come
to mind because nobody really seemed to give this a whole lot of thought
until it was Canonical's name on the copyright statement...