Re: upstart: please update to latest upstream version

On Fri, 2012-02-24 at 18:18 -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 07:58:21PM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > > Also, the only practical way this differs from the situation with
> > > software from either the Free Software Foundation or the Apache
> > > Software Foundation seems to be that, oddly, more people think
> > > Canonical is evil than think the FSF and ASF are evil.
>
> > It's not so much a question of 'is upstream evil' (if so, why are we
> > packaging this software?) but 'could upstream turn evil'.  I'm far
> > from agreeing with the FSF on many issues, and I don't really believe
> > in the value of copyright assignment.  But I also recognise that the
> > FSF is bound by its non-profit status and broad membership in ways
> > that a for-profit company like Canonical is not.
>
> I can well understand why some Free Software developers would decide not to
> contribute to a project that requires copyright assignment or a copyright
> license agreement such as this one.  But it would be historical revisionism
> to suggest that having copyright held by a single company makes a project
> unsuitable to be used as the basis for work in Debian.[1]

Well I don't consider it a blocker either.  However, it is something I
and probably others in the project dislike and I don't believe it is
conducive to growing a wider developer community.

[...]
> [1] Examples: MySQL as the "default" database for lots of projects;
> Sleepycat/BDB as the backend for plenty of software, sometimes chosen over
> GDBM; Qt; fox of ice and fire; and probably countless others that don't come
> to mind because nobody really seemed to give this a whole lot of thought
> until it was Canonical's name on the copyright statement...

Mozilla is now a non-profit and does not require copyright assignment or
CLA.

Of the others, I've never got the impression that they're actively
soliciting contributions from outside the company, though I could be
wrong.  I think free software developers rarely quibble over licences if
they're contributing little bug fixes, whereas they're more likely to
feel they deserve some kind of ownership stake if they're adding a big
piece.  A port to kFreeBSD might seem to be the latter, though I've no
idea how large a change it would really require.

So, why do people pick on Canonical?  Partly, I think, as a reaction to
Mark Shuttleworth's repeated arguing for copyright assignment/CLA/
Harmony.  Partly because Canonical often presents Ubuntu and related
software as being community projects while this licencing approach can
be seen to undermine that.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
If at first you don't succeed, you're doing about average.