Re: upstart: please update to latest upstream version

[Thomas Goirand]
> We are wasting a lot of time writing complex init.d scripts when all
> these should be automated to begin with. This is error prone, and
> gets even more complex if you want to support all what's needed: the
> VERBOSE variable, [ -x $DAEMON ] || exit 0, default files holding
> DAEMON_START=1 and other options, dependency to lsb-base, and so
> much more...

I agree.  And I believe it would be perfectly possible to cut down the
init.d scripts to only list the special settings for a given package
and fetch the boilerplate code from a common location.  See metainit
and bug report #651004 for some ideas on how this could be done for
init.d scripts.
--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen