Re: How to tell users that ia32-libs will go away

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 04:30:47PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> writes:

> >> Actualy that raises an interesting point:
> >>
> >> If there is no 64bit kernel in i386 then you can not safely enable
> >> multiarch to install amd64 packages (in general, kernel my just
> >> work). It is kind of a prerequisite.
> >
> > By the same argument you can't ever enable any foreign architecture.
> > This is nonsense.
> >
> > Ben.
>
> Why? I can install qemu-user-static and my system will be able to
> execute e.g. armel code.
>
> On the other hand installing linux-image-3.2.0-1-amd64:amd64 would pull
> in for example module-init-tools:amd64, making it impossible to
> load/remove modules on the running system or reboot with a 32bit kernel.

Currently linux-image-3.2.0-1-amd64:amd64 is effectively uninstallable
on i386 since various other packages depend on module-init-tools:i386.
However, once #649437 is fixed, module-init-tools:i386 (or rather
kmod:i386) will satisfy the dependency.

Since dpkg will prefer to install packages from the native
architecture, I don't see any problem here.  I suppose I'm biased by
having actually tested this.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings