Re: DEP5: minor suggestions - FSF address etc.

Le Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 12:23:12PM +0200, Jari Aalto a écrit :
> I'd like to propose updates to:
>
>     http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep5/

Dear Jari,

while I think that the examples can be improved in a future version of
the DEP, I have objections for the changes you proposed.

> (1) Use URL instead of real FSF address everywhere

The examples contain license notices for the GNU GPL version 2, and in these
there is no URL but the postal address.  The current practice in Debian is to
update if needed the postal address in the GPL notices version 1 and 2 (lintian
tag old-fsf-address-in-copyright-file), but not to replace them by the URL of
the latest GPL.  I would prefer that the examples do make implicit suggestions
to do so.

> (2) No ending commas in years

I would apply this change if it were supported by more people, but given that
the object of DEP 5 is to record upstream license and copyright statements, and
given that Upstreams write such statements using many different styles, I would
prefer to not normalise the examples and give the impression that the copyright
statements need to be normalised to be compliant with the machine-readable
format.

> (3) Uniform Layout

Different parsers and helpers arrange the Copyright field in different ways, so
again I am worried to send the wrong implicit message if all the examples would
follow one or the other convention.

I think that the current examples are quite dry and do not bring much help to
resolve difficult cases, and for the next revision, I encourage to propose more
in-depth changes as a bug to the debian-policy package.  But let's go ahead
with the examples as they are now.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy