Re: How to tell users that ia32-libs will go away

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 05:33:45PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> If there is no 64bit kernel in i386 then you can not safely enable
> multiarch to install amd64 packages (in general, kernel my just
> work). It is kind of a prerequisite.

qemu-user?

Of course, this particular combination is quite bizarre as no non-embedded
i386 CPU manufactured today can't execute amd64 code directly (Intel had a
throwback in early Atoms but even that is gone).  Yet I personally did need
to run qemu-system-amd64 on i386 on one occasion, many years ago.

So I think there should be a way to mark architectures as one of:
a) primary (can be ran efficiently)
b) configured for execution (qemu, unwanted variants)
c) data/headers only (cross-compilation)

Group b) should be avoided by apt when possible, and it should refuse to
install any executables from c) unless forced.  Not sure what to check for
-- having any files in /{usr/,}{s}bin ?

This way people would be safe from accidentally installing binaries that
don't work or work slowly.

--
// If you believe in so-called "intellectual property", please immediately
// cease using counterfeit alphabets.  Instead, contact the nearest temple