Re: Patch Tagging Guidelines: DEP-3 moved to ACCEPTED status

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> I'm really not sure what makes you authoritative for it though,
> and I'd like to understand (which doesn't conflict with the fact
> I'm happy dep3 is in state ACCEPTED, and that you decided to
> do it!).

I just did it as the DEP driver because I believe that there's a
consensus that the implementation has been a success and that's the
criteria set in DEP-0.

Since the goal was only to provide a format to standardize the
meta-information and that many people are successfully using this
format to document their patch, I think we can assert that the DEP
has been successful.

I have not counted how many patches embed those standardized fields so I
can't say how widely it is used but I know from the interaction with
various DD / teams that it's relatively well accepted (the quilt
maintainer even recently added a --dep3 option to "quilt header").

> Also, does this mean that you've patched the policy, that lintian
> would soon more aggressively complain about lacks of patch
> comments, and that we'll have a new Standard-Version?

No, the policy is not the proper place for this, but I believe that a
recommendation in the developers-reference would be appropriate.

Lintian already recommends the usage of DEP3 in the long description of
the relevant "informative" tags it has:
http://lintian.debian.org/tags/dpatch-missing-description.html
http://lintian.debian.org/tags/quilt-patch-missing-description.html

Cheers,