Re: Patch Tagging Guidelines: DEP-3 moved to ACCEPTED status

On 01/16/2012 07:14 PM, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hello,
>
> FTR given that I got no reports of problems with DEP-3, that it's already
> well established, I just changed the state of the DEP-3 from CANDIDATE
> to ACCEPTED.
>
> Of course this does not mean that the DEP-3 can't be extended or improved
> (in particular when it doesn't break backwards compatibility)
> but it does mean that this format is ready for widespread usage. Use it to
> document the patches that you add to Debian packages:
> http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep3/
>
> Cheers,

IMHO, that's a very good thing if we can improve Debian, and
don't hold back proposals indefinitively, especially when most of
us are already implementing such DEP.

I'm really not sure what makes you authoritative for it though,
and I'd like to understand (which doesn't conflict with the fact
I'm happy dep3 is in state ACCEPTED, and that you decided to
do it!).

Also, does this mean that you've patched the policy, that lintian
would soon more aggressively complain about lacks of patch
comments, and that we'll have a new Standard-Version?

BTW, what's the status of DEP5?
I'm already always uploading DEP5 compliant copyright files
myself, and I'd be happy to see it go in the policy. Having them
parsable is, IMHO, a very good thing, so that we can make
statistics about what license we have, and do all sorts of
incompatibility checks (like, who's using GPL and badly
mixing it with MPL or OpenSSL for example...).

Cheers,

Thomas