Re: Removing web server dependencies from web apps

On 01/06/2012 05:12 PM, Miroslav Suchy wrote:
> On 01/06/2012 08:56 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> The issue is that most PHP packages in Debian have dependencies on web
>> servers, most of the time with something like this:
>> Depends: apache2 | httpd, libapache2-mod-php5 | php5-cgi
> I would not say that your chroot setup is typical. Or common.

I tend to believe it becomes less and less truth.

> I would suggest creating your own empty apache2 package with version
> 9999, which you will install in this chrooted environment.

Yes, I think I'll do that, but I'm sure such hack isn't what we want to
advise in Debian in general.

>> Also, it's very surprising to see that we have dependencies for web
>> servers, but most of the time*not*  for mysql-server, which is as much
>> needed in order to run these applications. I really don't understand the
>> logic behind this.
> Because mysql-server can (and actually very often) is located on
> different machine.
> Mirek

I was expecting an answer like that (and was waiting for it). THANKS ! :)

That's what I don't get! I think using a remote MySQL is as uncommon as
a chrooted CGI environment. If we push for Apache / $web-server being
pulled so that $web-app would work out of the box with all needed
dependencies, then we should apply the same reasoning to the MySQL
server. There's no logic at all here.