Re: Switching apt-spy to native package, looking for suggestions

On 01/03/2012 11:37 PM, Jonathan Wiltshire wrote:
> On 2012-01-03 15:16, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> I agree with you, also, and also would like to highlight that native
>> packages are a pain for derivatives!
>
> Can you expand on that point please? What are the particular problems
> in this scenario?
>
> Thanks,

Let's say you're doing an Ubuntu package. In this case, you'd be
using upstart, and not an insserv scripts, and you wouldn't need to
depend on lsb-base for example. Or logrotate restarting of daemons
in Ubuntu would use "restart" in Ubuntu, when we use "invoke-rc.d".
Then if the package is a native one, you wont be able to keep the
orig.tar.gz. Then it doesn't make it obvious that only the packaging
changed, you wont know until doing a diff -u -N -r in the unpacked
tarball.

Of course, this works the other way around (from Ubuntu to Debian,
which happened to me few times recently), and this is just few examples
I have in mind. But there are many other things that you'd like to
change from one distro to another, and being able to have these
isolated in the debian.tar.gz is great.

Also, derivatives could use watch files using the orig.tar.gz by just
reading the pool directory hosted in any mirror, but if it's a native
package, you can't do that (there's only a single file which also may
contain packaging only changes, when the only thing you need to
really track is the non-packaging changes).

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)