Re: from / to /usr/: a summary

]] Philip Hands

> I used to use mondo-rescue for ensuring that systems were rescue-able.
>
> The problem is that on production systems one quite often never gets
> given the chance to test if the rescue system still works, so I ended up
> abandoning the use of mondo because it happened to me often enough that
> the hardware had been replaced under the OS, and some change that was
> required to support the new hardware didn't make it into the rescue
> images.

As long as it's not the hardware support (such as a RAID controller
driver going missing), you can easily do a test reboot of a system.

  qemu -snapshot -drive file=/dev/sda

(add whatever other arguments you need.)

Make sure you don't have too much disk activity to the drive while
you're doing this, as the snapshotting is just done on the qemu side, so
the kernel inside qemu will be quite confused when the bits on the disk
change underneath its feet.

Very, very convenient when you have managed to wedge the ILO and need to
do evil things to a system.

--
Tollef Fog Heen