Re: Red Hat is moving from / to /usr/

On Thu, 08 Dec 2011 at 11:06:46 +0100, Stephan Seitz wrote:
> That depends. I have some systems where all file systems except
> /boot are encrypted. Since I don’t use Debian kernels and initramfs,
> I created a small one myself to ask for the /-partition password.
> Now I would have to put the whole LVM stuff into it, because /usr is
> on a LVM (/ is not).

Debian's initramfs knows how to do this; d-i can even set it up for you
automatically. (My rootfs is in LVM over an encrypted partition; I believe
putting the stacking the other way round, so you have one or more encrypted
LVs in otherwise-unencrypted LVM, also works.)

Of course, if you decide to replace Debian's kernel/initramfs infrastructure,
the down side of that is that you get to replace Debian's kernel/initramfs
infrastructure...