Re: Red Hat is moving from / to /usr/

md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) writes:

> On Dec 07, Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de> wrote:
>
>> Give everyone at least 10 years headstart to migrate existing systems
>> away from having a seperate /usr partition and for people to stop making
>> a seperate /usr on new installs.
> Actually, Red Hat's goal *is* to support a separate /usr, they just want
> to have the initramfs mount it.

I guess mounting /usr is no more complicated than mounting / in
initramfs. Finding out what modules and software is needed for that
should be the same code as for /.

And maybe that would at least give incentive to finally add fsck support
to initramfs. Doing fsck on a mounted filesystem always sucks and you
need to reboot on any change.

Personally I've considered giving up a seperate /usr partition. Since I
switched to Debian kernels (something I actually regretted the last days
because alt-sysrq is bastardised in Debian) the / isn't that small
anymore. And we are finally getting to a point where read-only / works
out-of-the-box so /usr doesn't have to be seperate to be read-only.

> I am not really looking forward to keep reverting these changes in my
> package, and since Red Hat controls most Linux infrastructure now other
> packages will face the same problem.

One more reason to get away from udev. :)

MfG
        Goswin