Re: Red Hat is moving from / to /usr/

On Wed, Dec 07, 2011 at 01:44:28PM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
On Dec 07, Stephan Seitz <stse+debian@fsing.rootsland.net> wrote:
Yes, but by the admin, not by Debian, and the admin may not be
interested in adding a new layer of possible failures, because it
works.
And other admins may be interested in the important features which
everything-in-usr supports. Who is going to win?

If this is the future way and the way the developer want to go, then the way will succeed in time, but as Goswin said, it will take time.

The admins who think the new way is bad will not change their systems. New admins may think otherwise, and if the old server will be replaced, they change the system to the new way.

Of course, Redhat admins can be forced to change if they need the new version for their systems, but at least Debian does not work this way.

Well, I think we should do the same we are doing with other packages
whose upstream uses thinks we don’t want (e.g. /opt or non-free
files): we patch it so that it fits the Debian way.
This may not be practical in the long run, or even possible.

Yes, this may happen, but I think for about ten years we have to support both ways as best as we can.

Shade and sweet water!

	Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz             E-Mail: stse@fsing.rootsland.net |