Re: Red Hat is moving from / to /usr/

On Wed, Dec 07, 2011 at 01:11:56PM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
On Dec 07, Stephan Seitz <stse+debian@fsing.rootsland.net> wrote:
But as was seen in the last discussion, not everyone *has* an
initramfs, because it is not needed in many cases or sometimes even
not supported on the platform.
And as was seen, most of these setups can be modified to support this
scheme.

Yes, but by the admin, not by Debian, and the admin may not be interested in adding a new layer of possible failures, because it works.

But still, this does not change the original question: how will we deal
with these significant upstream changes in many important packages.

Well, I think we should do the same we are doing with other packages whose upstream uses thinks we don’t want (e.g. /opt or non-free files): we patch it so that it fits the Debian way.

Shade and sweet water!

	Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz             E-Mail: stse@fsing.rootsland.net |