Re: forwarding bugs upstream - opt-in, delayed, automated

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 06:47:52PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > I am looking for a set of perl modules which can handle being fed mail
> > and managing a subscription list in response to that mail while also
> > allowing for subscriptions/unsubscriptions from an external interface.
> > Such a thing may not exist at all, but if it does, I would rather like
> > to avoid reinventing the wheel if at all possible.
>
> bugs.debian.net uses, or at least used to use, Enemies of Carlotta
> already for subscribing to bugs. Perhaps that could be used for this
> as well?

Not easily (at least, not without making the integration much
tighter.) Basically, it should be possible to subscribe to any bug for
which you can currently describe a limit; the full set of these is so
large that it would be wasteful to generate all of the mails for them,
so the BTS would need to know which limits people actually cared
about, and only generate the mails for them. [That part isn't too
hard, but properly managing the bounces etc. needs to be done... (and
frankly, almost every mail that the BTS generated should probably go
through this mechanism with proper bounce processing, etc.x]

Don Armstrong

--
We want 6. 6 is the 1.
 -- "The Prisoner (2009 Miniseries)" _Checkmate_